Okay, Maybe it's not THAT sad, but it's sad to me! I cannot pick up my bees on April 19Th! I have to wait until the 26Th!! An extra week! Is betterbee trying to drive me and the other newbees out there crazy?! So sad.. hehe.
But it is sort of a good thing, because if it was on the 19Th, a few days before, I would have just gotten back from Florida (Going to Florida tonight! :-D), and then 5 days later I'm going to Washington D.C. for 3 days. Talk about a busy month! I would have had only 5 days with my bees, then would be gone to Washington, and I'm not so comfortable leaving the bees so soon. I don't know why... But now, I'm getting the bees, when I get back from Washington D.C.
And I (think) I found a location for my hive, pics coming soon! I think it's a good spot, because there's trees that are going to be giving it shade in the late afternoon-evening. It gets, I believe, the earliest morning sun in the property. I put it on concrete blocks to keep it level, and prevent the bees from building crooked comb. The entrance faces north, but there is a tent/building(the correct name of it escapes my mind at this moment) in front of it. Now I'm wondering if I should face it south, but then it would face straight to the chicken house. Hmmmm.... maybe just face it east? But that's the only way for me to walk towards to the hive, so I would be in their way. Hmmmm....... Oh! I also dug a hole and put in a empty planting container in and filled it up with water. The bees now have their own mini pond! I think I will put some guppies in, to eat mosquito larvae and eggs. Then I will bring them in for the winter, in a fish tank.
I bought some white clover and wildflower seeds from my feed store. Will have to plant those soon too.....
I now want to put a window in my hive, so I will be able to resist the temptation to open the hive up everyday and 'play' with them. Hehe. I will soon place in a window, sometime during this busy month! I will have to do it quickly for the bees are coming in 13 days! (Not 6... sniffle ;-P)
I got a ten pound bag of sugar, but looking at the forums, I have a feeling that I'm going to need alot more sugar! I found some easy-peasy ways to make some sugar syrup. One of the easiest, IMO, is to fill a gallon container (like a milk carton) with 5 pounds of sugar, and just fill it entirely with warm-hot water. Stir it or shake it until complety dissolved. Who has time for measuring? ;)
A helpful site... http://www.beecare.com/indexDynFrames.htm?http://www.beecare.com/Feeding/Feeding.htm&1
Okay, so I shall leave for now. Have a good afternoon!
Kris
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment