Saturday, June 21, 2008

1st Inspection of a Two-week old TBH

Well, I went in the TBH today and it was a pleasant inspection! I found only 3 pieces of burr comb that was only a bit bigger than a quarter. Very easy to remove! And only 2 combs at one end of the hive had one side attached to the wall alittle. I used a blade to cut it in upward motions. Always cut comb up... not down or you will tear the comb down, and off the top bar! They have 11 top bars with comb, and at least 8 of them is brood comb. None of the combs are full sized, but the bees are working on it. I removed nearly all of the string/rope from the combs. Only 4 combs weren't connected to the top bar. Not bad at all! I even found the queen! She was walking slowly on one of the bars that I was cutting string off. I continued to cut, but more carefully. When I started closing up, I put 3 empty top bars beside the combs, so the bees can get started on them. I am very pleased with the TBH. It's much better and easier than a Langstroth!
Unfortunately i didn't take pictures! I just have a difficult time to stop tending the bees and take a picture and repeat later on. Maybe I could get someone to take pictures for me next time I open the bees up...
Anyways, I'm not sure about what to do with my Langstroth hive, for they simply REFUSE to move down into the long medium hive! They are EXTREMELY slow comb builders too. Maybe I will go in this hive later today and see how they are doing so far. I have an idea to take a few deep frames and cut the bottom off... about 3 inches off, and put them in the bottom long hive. That will encourage the bees to start moving down. Just how would one cut 3 inches of wood off a frame with comb and bees on it? Brush the bees off and be careful when cutting... that's all I can think of.
Well, I'll think about it more, and maybe go in the Langstroth hive and start cutting more!

I really do need names for my hives! I'm going to name the Langstroth hive 'Midnight Sun', it's related to the Twilight series. (The Twilight Series is awesome!)The TBH is 'Mellona'. Still not sure about the one by my window in a glass bowl. Hmmm....
Have a nice afternoon!
Kris

1 comment:

jojo roxx said...

I wandered over from the bee forum...nicely done and very informative blog. Keep it up. AWESOME BEE LINKS!