On Tuesday, I taped white peices of cardboard covered with vascaline on the bottom of the TBH. Today, I took them off and counted 18 mites. I think that this is a good number, because 50 mites mean that you need to treat the mites before they take over the hive. I saw lots of colorful debris too, pollen, wax flakes, bee legs and attenas, and little peices of string. On closer observation I saw that the string was from the thick peices of rope that I used, since I ran out of the thin peices of thread. I hope that this means that they connected the comb to the top bar! I also hope that I do not find any cross combing or anything bad. Tomarrow marks 2 weeks after I did the cutout from Langstroth to Top Bars. Time sure does go by fast!
For the bees by my window, I gave them a glass jar/bowl and put leftover peices of brood comb from the cutout in it. The bees have been eating lots of syrup, and made a queen cup! I saw a small larvea in it, a queen in making! I just hope that there will be enough bees to keep the babies warm by the time the queen does start laying. Right now theres not even 100 bees! I have been seeing some bees hatching from their cell lately. I have tried shaking some nurse bees from my other hives, but I just ended up with a bunch of mad buzzing bees flying around me. I have no clue on how I would get them into the small jar! And I hope that the queen makes it back to the hive after her mating flight. If a problem occurs, I'm going to order a queen. And when they start outgrowing the jar... I'm planning to transfer them to a nuc somehow. I'm not sure if it should be a TBH nuc or Langstroth nuc. Hmmm.... I have many more choices to make =\ First things First... make sure we eventually end up with a queen!
Will come back with news about tomarrow's inspection! Hoping for the best!
Kris
Friday, June 20, 2008
Did A Mite Count Today...
Labels:
feeding,
Mite count,
NUCs,
Observation Hive,
queen cell,
TBH,
Top Bars
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment