I'm getting more bees! This time, they are from a local beekeeper about a hour away. And they are NUCs. And I'm not getting one... I'm getting 2! Maybe I'll even get 3, we'll see! These nucs are 5 frame langstroth frames. These bees are carniolan/Italian hybrids, and they drew out their own frames of comb. There was no foundation in place. I will have to make one or 2 more TBHs. And to install the NUCs, in their hive, I'm going to cut the comb the same shape as the follower board, only 1 inch smaller. Then I will wrap cotton string around the comb, onto the bars. And, there will be a piece of cardboard/Popsicle stick on the bottom of the comb to prevent the string cutting through the comb. It sounds very intrusive to the bees, and like a bit of work, but this is the easiest and fastest way to get a NUC into a TBH, according to the experts.
My other options are to cut the top bars in a specific shape, and cut a piece of plywood the same measurements as the bottom of the nuc, and put a big hole in it. The take the bottom of the nuc off and put the nuc on top of the plywood, and put that on top of the new top bars. Then I will have to wait for them to get overcrowded in the nuc, and move down into the TBH, then remove the nuc.
It sounds a bit too much for me, and that I would be bothering the bees to much, to have to constantly see when they moved down. The cut and tie method, is less disturbing to the bees, and they will get straight to work on building comb.
I will do the same thing for the other nuc(s). And for my other TBHs, I want to use a little diversity in them. For example: wooden bottom boards and end entrances. I want to see what is better to have in a TBH, in my area. It would take 4 TBHs, to test which method is better: end&screen; end&wooden; side&screen; side& wooden. Hmmmm......
Well, I may be able to pick-up the NUCs tomarrow, If I'm not too busy, and the guy I'm getting it from, says it's alright for me to come and get them. I'm very excited to be getting more bees! Just hope they don't you-know-what.
Have a nice day!
Kris
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment