Alright! I went to pick up a 5 frame nuc, and ended picking up a 10-frame fully established hive! Hehe! I'm telling you, bees are addicting! Anyways, the hive is foundation-less with small cell bees. The bees are hybrids, that were bred to thrive in my local climates. The hive came with a bottom board, 2 mediums or shallows combined to make a deep (will have to measure tomarrow), an inner cover and a plywood as a cover. It was mostly old, used equipment. I am going to get more from a retired beekeeper that is trying to sell his old equipment. I really like foundation-less Langstroth hives now, after watching the supplier I got my bees from, work on his hives and he showed me the comb and queen. I think I'm going to stick with the Langs, and split them into the TBH. Back to the bees... as I was driving home, the bees found a gap in the hive! There were at least 30 bees flying around in my car, buzzing at the windows, trying to get out. They did no harm. I got home at dusk and placed the bees in the TBH's location. I'm going to let them be, until I can get my hands on another deep body. I may check back in, in a week or so, will see what the experts say on the BeeSource Forum. If I remember correctly, when the guy that was selling me the bees, was showing me what's in my hive, there was at least 5 frames filled with comb. I will be sure of this when I go in to check.
I want to get a screened bottom board with the tray, a frame rest and an entrence reducer. For the frame rest, I could use an extra box. I could use grass for the entrarence reducer too. There are some plans on how to make a SBB online.
I'm getting interested in the Double-Deep frames... shown here... http://robo.bushkillfarms.com/beekeeping/double-deep-frames/. I will explain why next time, as I'm really tierd, and need my sleep!
Night,
Kris
Sunday, May 11, 2008
I have Bees (AGAIN)!!!
Labels:
10-frame hive,
Bees,
Double-Deep Frames,
Installing bees,
Langstroth Hive,
SBB
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment