Monday, May 19, 2008

My Second Inspection

A foundationless frame starting to be filled with comb.This was the 2nd frame from the outside of the box.
The bees flying in and out, with the entarance reducer in place.
Entrance reducer is out.
The supers I got, the deeps were behind me.
All the medium frames I pulled out, was deciding what to do with them, and decided to reuse them and put them back in the supers.
Looking down into the hive. Don't know why it says MENDES on the frame, it came with the hive I got.
A frame partially filled with capped honey.
The same frame, just why are some of the cells sticking out on the bottom? Queen Cups in the making?
Really blurry close-up.
The bees in a chain to make comb.

As you can see, I went into the hive on Monday, which is 5 days after the 1st inspection, and took some pictures. Sorry the pictures didn't come out to good, my camera's not good with close-ups. It was 59 degrees F out. Worked quickly for I didn't want to chill them. The bees have still not built comb on the 2 end frames. But there was alot of pollen and honey. The brood pattern looks better, and I saw much more eggs than last time. Lots of little larvea too.
I decided to put a medium super on top, for another brood chamber to let the bees expand more. I was a bit worried that it was too soon to put a box on top, and that they will get chilled. So I put the entrance reducer on it's biggest hole and covered the inner cover with a peice of plastic. The bees seem to be toasty in their hive. And I plan to leave the bees alone for at least a week, longer if possible, for I can't seem to keep my nose of of bee business! =D It's been very rainy and cloudy with some sunshine in between the showers, in the past week. I am thinking about putting a peice of plastic sheeting on top of the hive, instead of a wooden inner cover. This is so I can see the bees, without bees blasting in my face after removing the inner cover. An example of what I'm thinking of is shown in here... http://mkat.iwf.de/mms/metafiles/020...0000000_lo.asx. This is a pretty good movie, you might want to consider watching the whole thing one night.
Also, I am thinking about putting a 3-frame NUC, into the Aquarium fish tank I talked about before. I will have to measure the gap between the frames and glass, to make sure that the bee space is good, so the bees won't burr the glass up. It has to be close to 1 3/4". I have to glue 3/4" wood to the ends, so the frames will actually fit. Also will have to see how many frames will fit in it. Will take pictures soon!
Have a good evening!
Kris

1 comment:

beelovers said...

very nice job . I think you have a lot of love for bee