I peeked in the window again and saw that the cluster of bees moved in the middle of the hive. So now the bees are all right at the window. Staring at them, I noticed a bee scurrying by with bright yellow pollen on it's legs! Yeah! So now I know they are checking out the flowers around here for sure. I limited my peek-ins to only 4 times. I need to stop disturbing them so much, or I'm going to end up with no bees! I just discovered, that during the evening, if you have a flashlight and look up through the bottom screened board, you can see all the bees tucking themselves for the night. I can't see any comb yet. Well it's only been 2 days! Must stop pressuring the bees! Hehe.
Well, when I went down this afternoon, I discovered that the feeder was leaking. Looking through the window and under the hive, I found one empty jar and the other with only 2 inches of syrup left. So I decided to take action! I grabbed my veil and a extra jar of syrup that had only 5 holes punched in, not 10. I opened up the hive and pushed the follower board away. Took out both jars and the wood pieces that were holding the jars up. Put the follower board back. Then I put the wood pieces outside of the follower board. Put the new jar and almost empty jar back in place. I pushed the screen under the follower so the bees have better access to the syrup. Now I can feed without worrying about disturbing the bees.
I'm just wondering if I should continue to check the queen tomorrow. I'll see what the experts say at the Biobees forum.
Otherwise, I was surprised how well this emergency trip into the hive went. The bees were very calm and just buzzing around, wondering how did the roof disappear.
Well, that's it for today. I hope I can check the queen tomorrow, without risking anything that would not be good.
Have a good night,
Kris
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment