Thursday, March 6, 2008

Observation Hives

Hello there!
It is absoluty killing to me have to wait 44 more days until I get my bees!!! =D
Who knew that one day I would get excited about picking up a 3lb. package filled with stinging insects!!! ;-)

After looking around many sites, learning lots of new things along the way, I found the observation hive. It captured my interest, and I began reading more in depth about this unique beehive. What I love about the OH(observation hive), is that you get to watch the bees 24/7 in the comforts of your home... even in the middle of winter! The cost for a OH can be overwhelming (up to $600!), and I could build my own with only ten dollars! So searching around the internet even more for OH plans, I found several sites. I will list them here for anyone who is interested in the OH.
*http://www.honeyrunapiaries.com/observationhive.phtml- a very nice OH with 8 medium frames.
*http://www.drobbins.net/ -several pictures of a 5 medium frame OH. (click on bee pictures, then Observation Hive)
*http://www.outdoorplace.org/beekeeping/obs1.htm- might give you some ideas for a OH.
*http://www.beesource.com/plans/obsrhive.htm- 3 frame (2 deep&1medium i belive) OH
*http://www.bwrangler.com/bee/lobh.htm- 4 deep frame OH, that i am planning on building
*http://www.myoldtools.com/OBhive/OB_Chapter1.htm- Shows you how to make the OH spin(piviot), so you can view both sides easily.

A one frame wide OH, allows you to view everything thats going on, and see the queen much more easier. But the bees cannot cluster in winter very well, and it stresses them out. It also decreases the chance for them to be able to overwinter succesfully.
In a OH with a 4 frame width(or even 2 or 3 frames), bees are able to control the temperatures better. They will be able to raise brood easier, and overwinter better.
I am planning on making Bwrangler's design, because its so easy and cheap to make. Also theres a better chance for my bees to over winter well. I dont even need to buy any wood! I have plenty of leftover pine from the TBH. I do have some pexiglass in the garage, but I don't think I have enough... I will have to go out soon and measure. I will need some mirror clips... I dont think they cost much. I will need to buy some deep frames and perhaps foundation, for starter strips. Of corse, I will need some bees! At www.gabees.com/pkg_bees.htm, there is a 1lb. package for observation hives! With $15.50 for shipping and $38.00 for the package, I will be paying $53.50 for a 1lb package to be shipped to me. It is a bit pricy, and now I am looking into 2lb. packages, to ensure the bees will survive in the OH. I will have to decide and order fast, for the bees are selling out quickly at this time of the year for sure!
I better stop searching around the web, before I find something else I would like to try out... ekkk!
But the web is preventing me from going insane, for having to wait 44 more days until I get my bees! lol!

Have a great evening!
Kris

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

FYI, your link to drobbins.net is broken. The text is correct but the underlying url isn't.

Good luck starting beekeeping.

-Tim

Kris said...

Ahhh thank you! I will fit that link! Thanks again!
Kris